Tuesday, December 11, 2012

2012 in Review

Wow, where has this year gone?

It seems like yesterday when I thought I would start blogging about the Adventures of Raising Zaire. Fast forward 18 months, and I've barely kept up. Working full time, raising a puppy, starting a craft business, and planing the annual fundraising event will keep a person busy.

Here we are in December... only 65 days till Zaire goes off to Advance Training.

We have a few commands that we still need to perfect, like Out, Visit, and Under. And as of last week, we need to review Up and Jump again because in puppy class, she would only jump on an Up. Silly Zaire!

At the start of this year, Zaire was only 6 months old. She's now almost 18 months old and boy has she matured into a beautiful young lady. She still has puppy spunk, but she is a true cuddle-bug and loves to snuggle.

She has learned new commands, taken trips, socialized with friends, and has favorite humans she likes to visit, like Dr. Megan at Mordecai Chiropractic. What am I talkin' about, she is a people person and LOVES everyone!

With February approaching, it's time to start preparing for what is next. There are a few things that could happen; Zaire could get selected as a Breeder; get released; or graduate.

Since Zaire was born in Canada through the PADS organization, that makes her a desirable puppy for the breeding program. My fingers are crossed that she is selected. I would jump at the opportunity to become a Breeder Caretaker and help welcome future assistance dogs into this world.

When Zaire gets turned in in February, she will undergo health, temperament, and train-ability testing to determine if she has what is required to be selected as a breeder. I've been told that this process can take between 6-8 weeks. My patience will be tested during that time!

In the event that Zaire is not selected as a breeder, she will continue her advance training with the hopes of her graduating. 

In the meantime, I've already decided that I am going to raise another puppy. I mailed in my application this week and hope to bring home a second puppy in February.

Being a puppy raiser for CCI has brought some many blessings into my life. I am so thankful I made the decision to become a puppy raiser. Now, I'm hoping to add Breeder Caretaker to my list next year.

In 2013, my goal is to become a better blogger as I will have my second puppy in training, and I'll have to keep you updated on Miss Zaire in Advance Training.


Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment